Sir Hugh Casson (1965)
A series of circular brick pens arranged around a central viewing area, with an S-shaped walkway weaving through it. The paddock features a pick-hammered concrete shell – possibly imitating an elephant’s hide – ribbed to dissuade the animals from damaging the structure. The ensemble features conical copper roofs that are also extract fans. The enclosure is surrounded by a ditch and fencing, and includes a mess room for the keepers.
The building was a central part of a 1956 redevelopment plan for London Zoo. Sir Hugh Casson described it as “a saucy building”. It’s not in use by elephant or rhinos any more, as those larger animals have moved to more ample accommodation at Whipsnade Zoo. The Pavilion has been Grade II* listed since 1998.